Where oh where has the money gone…
Compulsive debting and spending seems to be the norm in the United States. According to an article published in USA Today 44.7% of Texans have debt that has gone into collections. Texas has the second highest percentage of persons in debt in the entire nation. Compulsive spending, while not responsible for all of the debt in America, is a problem for many Texans. For many the compulsive behavior is similar to any other “process” addiction. Spending changes the way you feel, changes the firing of neurotransmitters in the pleasure center of your brain and quickly links to your “need” to feel better. As with any other addiction the cycle of spending, remorse, pain and more spending to relieve the pain is pervasive. Thankfully, many people have found a solution in Debtors Anonymous. Members of Debtors Anonymous report their whole lives change as they pull themselves out of debt and become intentional with their money. As stated on the Debtors Anonymous website the benefits of attending DA can be summed up as follows:
The Promises of DA
- Where once we felt despair, we will experience a newfound hope.
- Clarity will replace vagueness. Confidence and intuition will replace confusion and chaos. We will live engaged lives, make decisions that best meet our needs, and become the people we were meant to be.
- We will live within our means, yet our means will not define us.
- We will begin to live a prosperous life, unencumbered by fear, worry, resentment or debt.
- We will realize that we are enough; we will value ourselves and our contributions.
- Isolation will give way to fellowship; faith will replace fear.
- We will recognize that there is enough; our resources will be generous and we will share them with others and with DA.
- We will cease to compare ourselves to others; jealousy and envy will fade.
- Acceptance and Gratitude will replace regret, self-pity and longing.
- We will no longer fear the truth; we will move from hiding in denial to living in reality.
- Honesty will guide our actions towards a rich life filled with meaning and purpose.
- We will recognize a Power Greater than ourselves as the source of our abundance. We will ask for help and guidance and have faith that it will come.