Am I Addicted?
AM I DRUG ADDICT?
Are you wondering if you have a problem with drug use?
If you are worried about your drug use or the use of a family member or a friend, this substance abuse assessment can help you determine if it is time to ask for help. Drug abuse and addiction comes in many forms and people’s experiences will vary. That said, there are characteristics and symptoms that we see in problem drug users. The following substance abuse assessment can help you recognize common addiction characteristics and decide whether you or a loved one needs help.
This test refers to:
(1) The use of prescribed or “over-the-counter” drugs in excess of the directions
(2) The use of any non-medical drugs that are legal or illegal.
Directions: This self-test is designed for you to assess your own drug use, abuse or addiction. No one else will see the results of this substance abuse assessment so be open and honest with yourself. Do not include alcohol use when answering the questions. Read each question carefully. Note: If the experiences outlined in the questions happens sometimes but not all the time, you should still answer yes.
Yes or No: Decide whether your answer is YES or NO and then check the appropriate space. Please be sure to answer every question.
- Are family members or friends concerned about your drug use?
- Have you had trouble at work because of your use of drugs?
- Do you ever feel bad or guilty after using drugs?
- Have you spent more money than you intended or wanted to on your drugs?
- Do you find yourself not accomplishing the things you intended to after using drugs?
- Have you missed days at work specifically because of drug use or because you could not function well after using?
- Do you use more than one drug at a time?
- Do you drink while taking drugs?
- Have you avoided family events because of your drug use?
- Have you had any trouble with the law because of your drug use?
- Have you ever received a DUI?
- Are you uncomfortable going long periods of time without using any drugs or alcohol?
- Are there times when you cannot stop using drugs when you want to?
- Has drug abuse caused problems between you and your spouse or partner?
- Can you get through a week (7 days) without using drugs?
- Do you ever have periods of time that you do not remember after using drugs?
- Have you lost friends or relationships because of your drug use?
- Have you ever taken another person’s prescription drugs?
- Do you run out of your prescription before the refill date?
- Do you get the same prescription from more than one doctor?
- Have family or friends told you that you use too much of your pain or anxiety medication?
- Do you ever have flashbacks as a result of your drug use?
- Have you been high at inappropriate times (i.e., at school, work, family events, or while caring for children/elderly/disabled persons)?
- Has a family member ever sought help because of your use of drugs?
A “no” is scored 0, and a “yes” is scored 1, except for question 15, which is reversed.
Total your score – the total presented above reflects the severity of problems or consequences related to your drug abuse. An interpretation of your score should be based on the following guidelines:
|1-5:||Low level of problems related to drug abuse|
|6-10:||Moderate level of problems related to drug abuse|
|11-15:||Substantial level of problems related to drug abuse|
|16-24:||Severe level of problems related to drug abuse|
If you scored 6 or above, you should seek a professional substance abuse evaluation.
Find Your Freedom
If you and your family are suffering from the impact of addiction? We can help. Addiction is a family disease, and everyone needs support and a safe space to heal. We will guide you by creating an addiction recovery strategy that’s personalized for you and your family. There is freedom from the pain and shame. Take a powerful first step - ask for help - and start your healing journey with us today.
I invite you to call our office at 832-928-0211 for a free 15-minute phone consultation. We’re happy to discuss your specific needs and answer any questions you have. We have offices in Houston, TX, and we provide online therapy and recovery coaching for anyone living outside the Houston area..